Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sweet Potato Biscuits!

Oh my goodness!  Do these little gems ever bring back wonderful memories!  


My Granny Susie and my Mama both used to make these and they were so very good.  I was rather proud of myself when I made these...they turned out pretty good.  The main secret with making biscuits is don't knead them too much...just enough to get the dry ingredients mixed well with the wet ingredients.  


This recipe was rather "sticky" when I mixed them up real well but I just kept some flour handy and kept my hands covered good and kept working it until I could "pinch off" my biscuits, (a real southern cook ain't got time to roll out no biscuits y'all).    Just pinch them off, the size depends on your liking, and place them on a non-stick pan or one that has been sprayed with Pam.  


My Granny's "biscuit pan" was an old lard stand lid...and she said it was the best thing she ever used.  I wish I had that thing!  LOL!


Sweet Potato Biscuits


Ingredients:
2 cups self-rising flour
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 cup butter (not margarine, butter!)
3 Tablespoons Crisco shortening
1 Cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
6 Tablespoons milk 
2 Tablespoons melted butter (optional)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Mix the first four ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Cut in the 1/4 cup of butter and the shortening (I used two forks) until the mixture is crumbly.  Add the mashed sweet potato and milk.  Stir the mixture just until the dry ingredients are moistened.  Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead just a few times.


Pinch off biscuits and place on non-stick baking sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 to 15 minutes or until slightly brown.  Makes about 12-15 biscuits.  


Optional:  You may use the melted butter to brush the tops of the hot biscuits when they come out of the oven but believe me...they are really good without it too!


Enjoy!

No comments: